Pet Sitter Information

Thank you for thinking about registering with UberPaws!

This page contains some useful information to help you decide if UberPaws is the right step for you!

If you are interested in being a pet sitter then please fill in the form and we will get back to you. There is lots of useful information across the website about what you need to do, what is expected of you as a pet sitter. The FAQs are a good source of information.

Some useful information is listed below:

  • You will need to be registered as self-employed
  • We will collect payment on your behalf and then we will pay you on receipt of an invoice
  • You will need to pay for a Subject Access Report (approx. £10)
  • You will be paid mileage for travelling to and from locations
  • You will need to be trustworthy, reliable and flexible
  • A love for animals is essential.

What to expect

Once you have accepted a job with one of our clients you will be expected to visit the property in advance. This meeting is a good chance for you to get to know the house, clients and of course, the pets! We will send the client a form to fill in about their daily routine before you attend the property which we will send to you before you go round. This will include information such as alarm codes, location of emergency contacts and what the pet's routine is. We think it's important you spend this time bonding with the animal and clients rather than filling out paperwork.

When you begin the pet or house sitting, you will be expected to treat the house like you would your own. We encourage you to do the little extras that make a difference, such as running the hoover round, airing the house, cleaning the food bowls and having a pint of milk in the fridge for the clients when they return.

Documentation

In order to accept you into the UberPaws pool of pet sitters you we will need to verify that you are a suitable person to look after houses and animals. Our clients put a lot of trust in us to make sure their belongings are safe whilst they are away and we take this seriously. You will be asked to obtain a record of your criminal record, this is called a Subject Access Report. It costs around £10. We will also ask you to have up to 3 references available on request. These give the clients a bit more piece of mind that you are a trustworthy individual and someone that they are happy to let into their house. The references can be from friends, family or someone you work with, ideally we would want a professional reference as that is more neutral than friends and family. We can discuss this further if you'd like to.

We will also need to add you to our insurance. We need to make sure that you are covered should anything happen to you, and also the client is covered in the event of accidents. At the moment that is a yearly charge of £20. We will ask for this shortly after you register with us.

Payment

You will, of course, be paid for the time and effort you put in to looking after people's homes and pets. You will need to be self-employed but we can advise you on how to do this and answer any questions and concerns that you might have regarding registering as self-employed. The process is actually a simple process and the impact in your tax even if this is a part time venture will have a minimal impact on the taxes you pay.

We will take a 30% cut of the overall charge to the client, and you will take the remaining 70%. You will invoice the client directly for your 70% as we will for our portion.

You will also be paid mileage for the distance that you travel. We will supply the client with an estimation of mileage based on the distance between both addresses. You will add the mileage charge to your invoice at the end of the job along with any incidentals you might have brought during the job. Most clients will leave a float for these incidentals so you might only need to do this in an emergency.

If you would like to register, please click here.